We said goodbye to Sugar this morning. He was in the hospital all last night. He was having very labored breathing, which I thought may be from pain he was having in his hip. The Dr. diagnosed him with Congestive Heart Failure. She said the labored breathing was caused by the excessive fluid in his lungs. His blood test showed an increase in white blood cell production, which indicated he also had pneumonia. He was given oxygen to help slow his breathing and some medicine to reduce the fluid in his lungs. We kept him there through the night and called all the brothers and sisters. In the morning he had not improved, the Dr. said he could be in the hospital for up to 2 weeks, and his life expectancy with CHF would be 2 months. Ryan met Robert at the hospital around 4am. and they took him the the vet together at 7am. Robert came to pick us up so we could all say goodbye to Sugar. The kids were sad to know Sugar wouldn't be coming home with us. They wouldn't pet him or say goodbye, just like they do at Grandma and Pa Pa's house. If they don't say goodbye then you won't leave kind of thing. After saying goodbye we left Ryan with Sugar and Dad came by. T said, "I want my Sugar" on the way home. His breathing was so labored, I know he is already feeling better and playing up there- but he will be greatly missed here! Robert posted a tribute to Sugar on his real estate blog.
I called mom to check on her and Ryan. She went to the Dr. to be with Ryan when he came out of the office. She reminded me that "Sugar" was one of Jade's first words. He was so protective of Jade. When she'd cry, he'd come and get me. There was no way I could let her cry herself to sleep at nap time. He wouldn't have it. He liked sleeping with her. She'd say, "Sugar's sleeping with me, Mom". He loved chasing them all over the house... and they loved being chased. He and T liked to argue over the blanket. I had to make them take turns (with a timer) just like two brothers. And Sugar really had them trained. Let me start by pointing out that Sugar has a treat problem. I'm not sure when it started, but when he gets treats it's like Doggie Crack for him and he just can't get enough. Pretty soon he'd stop eating his food and reserve the space for treats. He'd live off them alone if we let him. So, we try to be careful about the treats. But, the kids just couldn't grasp that concept. They enjoyed to challenge of trying to figure out what Sugar wanted. There's only 3 things Sugar ever wants. 1. To go outside 2. To go with you 3. Treats! One time, Sugar was whining, so we asked Jade to let him out. She opened the door and said, "Here Sugar, come on." Rob and I were watching TV, but we heard her so, "No, oh ok. Sugar wants a treat." And she shut the door and headed straight to the pantry for his treats. I noticed Sugar doing the same thing when T would go to the door.He'd stand at the door like he needs to go out and if one of the kids lets him out, he'd back up and nod his head to the kitchen. So, Sugar was whining at the door to see who would open it- me, rob, or one of the kids. If it was one of the kids then SCORE!!! They'd go get him A TREAT anytime he told them to!! Which was often!! So smart!!
2 comments:
It's so weird to think of him gone. Everyone has a story to share about Sugar. I didn't meet one person who didn't love Sugar. Even "dog-haters" loved him. You wrote a beautiful tribute to him. He had the quirkiest little head nods. He always tilted his head when you spoke to him, like he was really listening. He ALWAYS stayed by your side if you were sick - it was like he somehow knew. My favorite - whenever he was excited or happy he'd stand there and look at you with his mouth partly opened so it looked like a smile! I love Sugar!!
My favorite memory of Sugar is when I would run around the house (in NY) and we would chase eachother then I would take him for a long walk outside. He was a great snuggler.
I will miss him too.
-Libby
Post a Comment